Hello, and welcome to my small corner of the internet. Or home page. Permanently under construction.
My name is Ioan Bizău (read Yi-wan Bee-zau), but most people call me Ionuț (read Yoh-noots).
I’ve been a programmer most of my life. Since 2009 I’ve been working only for startups: App Annie, Triposo and F2Pool. My current interests in this field are mostly around Bitcoin.
In the last few years I’ve gotten more into music.
I can be everywhere, but I like to be in one place at the time.
I like to take things slowly. Not “visiting” a country, but rather moving there for a while. I prefer to travel by train and bicycle but I also like driving and riding motorbikes very much.
I like building physical things. As much as I liked programming as I grew up, I realized that technology is just a means to an end. We should be building tools that help us live a better life in the physical world and help us build better communities. Technology for the sake of it is a waste of time.
I speak 6 languages.
What I am doing now
See my “now” page.
Here are some of my current projects. You can also follow me on GitHub.
- Casa de Cultură · 2013 - (now) · Contemporary art space and rural retreat in the Banat Highlands, Romania. I bought an old farm house and turned it into an art space and rural B&B. I’m responsible with everything: from the concept, branding, and marketing to having managed the construction workers during the 6 years renovation process. The space opened for visitors in 2020.
- Bitcoin Musings · 2020 · The place where I collect quotes that make me think about Bitcoin.
- muSocial · 2020 · A minimalist feed reader I developed for myself but also made available as open source.
- Podcasturi · 2020 · Top podcasts in Romania. I could not find such a list anywhere online. All I could find was people listing their top n podcasts sort of articles. So I decided to make my own using some Python scripts. [podcasturi = podcasts in Romanian]
- Kanji Explorer · 2012, 2020 · A tool to navigate kanji (Japanese characters) based on their components. I made it in 2012 as I found no such tool anywhere. At the time I was learning Chinese and being able to break up characters into components was very useful. It was offline for many years as my website went through many changes. Moved to its own domain in 2020.
If you want to say hello, drop an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you want to say hi, use email@example.com.
Also, feel free to contact me on LinkedIn or follow me on Instagram.